If you want an idea of something you can do to make a difference, you might want to check this out > LINK TO KIVA.ORG
“Kiva’s mission is to connect people, through lending, for the sake of alleviating poverty.
Kiva empowers individuals to lend to an entrepreneur across the globe. By combining microfinance with the internet, Kiva is creating a global community of people connected through lending.
Kiva was born of the following beliefs:
- People are by nature generous, and will help others if given the opportunity to do so in a transparent, accountable way.
- The poor are highly motivated and can be very successful when given an opportunity.
- By connecting people we can create relationships beyond financial transactions, and build a global community expressing support and encouragement of one another.
- Dignity: Kiva encourages partnership relationships as opposed to benefactor relationships. Partnership relationships are characterized by mutual dignity and respect.
- Accountability: Loans encourage more accountability than donations where repayment is not expected.
- Transparency: The Kiva website is an open platform where communication can flow freely around the world.
Kiva has facilitated over $250 million in loans.”
|Total amount lent through Kiva:||$390,548,500|
|Kiva Users who have funded a loan:||870,685|
|Borrowers funded through Kiva:||951,565|
|Number of loans made through Kiva:||512,445|
|Kiva Field Partners:||180|
|Countries where Kiva Field Partners are located:||68|
|Average loan size:||$400.67|
|Average loans made per Kiva lender:||9.11|